Dosa is a delicious authentic South Indian dish.It is a crispy delicate crepe made with rice and urad dhal batter.It is traditionally served with coconut chutney and sambar. I’m gonna introduce you to a very flavorful tangy tomato chutney which tastes so good with the dosa .
If you have tasted this in an Indian restaurant and you want to make this at home .Here is the recipe …..
Recipe for the batter
- 1 cup – Long grain rice (or) Indian boiled rice
- 1/2 cup – Urad dhal ( very important ingredient . Available in any Indian grocery )
- 1 teaspoon – Fenugreek seeds
- 3 teaspoons – Salt
Mix rice, urad dhal and fenugreek seeds ( except the salt) in a big bowl , add double the amount of water and let it soak for at least 4 to 5 hours.
1. 0nce it’s soaked drain the cloudy water. Rinse it until it’s clear, drain it again.
2. Put it in a blender add cold water and grind it into a smooth batter (consistency of a pancake batter).
3. Pour it in a big bowl or a container (very important because the batter rises )
4. Add 3 teaspoons of salt mix it well.
5. Cover it and let it ferment for altleast 8 to 10 hours ( if you live in cold countries let it ferment overnight ) make sure you place this mix in a warm place in the kitchen.
6. The batter rises in size.And you will see tiny air bubbles on top.
This fermenting process depends on the weather condition.No worries if it didn’t rise.It is still good to use.Take a spoon and gently mix it well.
7. Now the batter is ready .This stays good in the fridge for a week.
8. This recipe is easy to double if you want to make more . If you are doubling the recipe make sure you grind it in batches . Add water slowly as it grinds so that it stays in the right consistency.
Recipe for the Tomato Chutney
- Plum tomatoes – 4
- Green chili – 2 or (red chili powder – 1 teaspoon )
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon ( grated)
- Asafetida – 1/4 teaspoon ( optional )
- Onion – 2 tablespoons (finley chopped )
- Black mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan add the chopped tomatoes green chili or chili powder,ginger and asafetida(optional) sauté it until the tomatoes are soft .
2. Add a cup of water and let it cook for a couple of minutes. To get the raw tomato smell away .
3. Let it cool completely.Pour the mix into a blender add 2 teaspoons of salt and grind it into a smooth purée.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan add the mustard seeds . Let it pop then add the chopped onion and sauté until it gets translucent.
5. Add the tomato purée.Keep it in a medium flame and let it simmer for just couple of minutes for the flavors to meld.
6. Garnish it with chopped cilantro leaves and enjoy it with your dosa.
How to make the dosa
1. Heat a non stick skillet.(make sure the pan is not too hot otherwise the batter gets cooked quickly).
2. Pour a scoop of the dosa batter and spread it in a thin circle with the spoon.
3. Put a little bit of oil around the edges and in the center.This gives the golden color and makes the dosa crispy.
4. Once it’s cooked fold the dosa in half and serve it hot with the tangy tomato chutney and enjoy this at home for dinner.
All rights reserved ©savvysouthindian.com