You are wondering how can a fruit salad be spicy right?.We Indians like to spice up everything. Let me show you how to make this mouthwatering 4s fruit salad ( sweet, sour,salty and spicy ). It just tastes divine.
First thing we have to do is to prep the fruits.
- Mango ……….1
- Green apple …..1
- Red seedless grapes …… 1 cup
- Pineapple ……. 1/2
- Strawberries…….. 6
- I have used a melon baller to scoop out the apple
- Used a flower shaped fruit cutter to cut mangoes .
- Cut the grapes in half
- Cut the oranges in round slices
- Slice the strawberries
- Cut the pineapple in cubes
- Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on the apple and mix it well . This prevents the browning.
- Take a big platter and make a beautiful arrangement with these fruits.
Sprinkle a tablespoon of granulated sugar on top of the fruits and keep it aside . Now the sweet part of the salad is done … Let me show you how to make the chaat masala powder . This actually gives that kick to this salad.
Dry roast the following spices
- Coriander powder …..1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder ………. 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder …..1/4teaspoon
- Clove powder ………… 1/4 teaspoon
- Ginger powder ……….. 1/4 teaspoon
- Fine black pepper powder …. 1/4 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder …………… 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder … 1/4 teaspoon
- Paprika ( for the color) ……………1/2 teaspoon
Mix everything together
1. Heat up the pan. Once the pan is hot , Switch off the stove .Take the pan away from the heat.
2. Now put the mix in the hot pan and let it sit in the pan and absorb the heat . Slightly toasting it actually releases the aroma of the spices . Move it around with a spatula so that it doesn’t burn.
3. Let the mix cool in the pan .Add a little bit of black salt ( gives a very unique taste ) or coarse salt and mix it very well.
4. This toasting process makes your kitchen smell amazing .It is a hint that the chaat masala is ready.
5. Store it in a air tight container to keep it fresh for future use.
If you are serving this for the guests I would recommend you to keep the chaat masala separately in a bowl in the middle of the platter.They can sprinkle the masala right before they eat , Otherwise the salt in the mix cooks the fruit and makes it soggy.
If you are making this salad just for yourself go ahead and mix the masala and enjoy !
I’m telling you are going to be hooked on to this. It is sweet ,salty, sour and spicy ,it is just a flavor explosion in your mouth.
I just made your mouth water right ! Come on what are you waiting for? make the salad and let me know how it turned out.
You can use any seasonal fruits , Watermelon, honey dew melon , cantaloupe . These fruit cutters make really beautiful shapes out of the fruits.
Chaat Masala is available in Indian Grocery stores buy a pack keep it at home if you don’t want to go through the process of making it at home. There are many brands to choose from this is my favorite
Tastes great on both fruits and veggies. I use this on chickpea salad and potato salad . It is a must have pantry item in our Indian kitchen.
All rights reserved ©savvysouthindian.com