Green vegetables have a very distinctive taste that is the main reason kids dislike it. Steaming and seasoning it with salt and pepper is just not going to be enough. Broccoli does not have much flavor so you have to spice it up.
My grandma always says, “the key to make any vegetable tasty is the right spices and flavorings”. So I came up with a nice recipe to make it extremely tasty.
This recipe is for all the moms who can’t make their kids eat broccoli . I can see your eyes widening in disbelief. Let me prove it to you “it works”.
These are the ingredients you need
- Turmeric powder … 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder …….1 teaspoon
- (Or) paprika
- Salt ….. …………..2 teaspoons
- Fennel seeds …… 1 teaspoon
- Grated garlic …… 1 teaspoon
- Oil ……….. 1 tablespoon
- Butter ….. Small slice
Cut the broccoli in florets, medium size is good. Wash and drain it nicely.
2. Once the oil is hot add the fennel seeds ,don’t let it burn.
3. Quickly add the broccoli florets , be very careful water in the florets make the oil splatter.
6. The turmeric keeps it nice and green. (You can completely eliminate the process of cooking and shocking it in ice water to keep the green color)
7. It cooks very fast so check after few minutes. (Since we are not adding any water it burns quickly )
9. Now add the grated garlic and mix it well . Reason for adding garlic at the end is the broccoli acts as a bed and doesn’t let the garlic burn.
10. Leave the pan open and keep the flame in low .The butter we added earlier helps the broccoli caramelize a little bit.once you smell the aroma of garlic it’s ready to eat .
It’s something about the fennel and garlic combination which makes it very enticing. My kids loved it and it is my husband’s favorite dish too.
I tried the same recipe with other green vegetables like Asparagus,Brussel sprouts, Bok choy and kale …It came out awesome.
All rights reserved ©savvysouthindian.com