Rasam is a very tasty, authentic South Indian soup, This particular Rasam is made with split yellow lentils and spiced with lots of ginger, lime juice and lime zest which makes it so flavorful, hearty and delicious!
Rasam is generally made with tangy tamarind broth spiced with coriander, cumin, red chili and pepper. Since this rasam is made with lentils (paruppu) it’s also known as Ginger Rasam. A yummy recipe from my home town and I’m happy to share it with you all!
Ginger Rasam – Paruppu Rasam
- Toor dal (Split yellow lentils)….1/2 cup cooked and mashed.
- Diced Tomato….1
- Green chili …. 2 or 3 sliced
- Grated ginger … 1 tablespoon
- Water – 4 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds … 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves …. Few
- lime juice … 1 teaspoon.
- Lime zest – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander …. Both stems and leaves
- Add water and turmeric powder to it
- Cook, mash and keep it aside.
- Then add 4 cups of water and a teaspoon of turmeric powder, mix it well
- cover it with a lid and let it come to a boil.
- Then add the grated ginger and salt and let it simmer for a couple of minutes .
The Rasam is ready, let’s season it.
- This is a very important step since it gives that extra depth of flavor to it.
Now it’s time to garnish the rasam
Add the lime juice. I always use lime for savory dishes, it really makes a big difference.
Finally, the lime zest. I grate a little bit of the lime zest which makes this soup very fragrant. The combination of ginger, lime and coriander makes it very refreshing.
This yummy Rasam is ready to serve, No soup is complete without crackers.
Appalam/ Papad is made of rice flour and urad dal. Both of them are very crunchy and yummy and a great accompaniment with this soup.
This rasam is a healthy, hearty and a very satisfying soup, it literally soothes your soul. We really enjoy this soup with the side of steamed rice and South Indian style pan fried potatoes and of course some crackers to go with it. This is comfort food at its best!
Hope you make this soup and enjoy it as much as we do!
All rights reserved ©savvysouthindian.com