Bajji is a very popular snack in India. This is basically either thinly sliced fruits or vegetables dipped in a very flavorful sweet or savory batter and deep fried until its golden brown and crispy. We make both sweet and savory versions of these fritters.
The sweet fritters are made with fruits like apples, bananas, sweet yellow plantains or pineapples which are dipped in a sweet batter made with flour, sugar and vanilla (or cardamom powder which gives a unique flavor)For this recipe I’m using green apple ( Granny Smith) you can use your favorite variety of apples, I really like to cook with this apple because it is slightly tart, it doesn’t get brown and holds the shape when you fry it .
- 1 Apple ( peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 – cup of flour ( All purpose or Gluten free )
- 1/2 – cup of granulated sugar
- 2 – teaspoons of pure vanilla extract (or cardamom powder)
Let’s make the batter
- In a bowl add the flour, sugar and vanilla and mix it well
- Add water and bring it to a pancake batter consistency. Set it aside for the flavors to meld .
In the meantime peel the green apple and cut it into thin slices.
- Coat it with a little bit of flour.
- This helps the batter stick to the apple nicely
- Heat the oil, dip the apple slices into the batter and fry it until it’s golden brown.
- Drain it nicely in a paper towel before serving.
My kids like the apple and caramel combination but how about dipping them in sweetened condensed milk? , it may sound odd but it tastes amazing !
How to make flavored sweet Fritters with the leftover batter
I just added a teaspoon of banana flavor to the batter. (You can use mashed bananas too) Use the smallest cookie scoop to put them in the oil, you get this golden pillowy balls of yumminess which is called Appam. I love to dunk them in a bowl of sweetened condensed milk. Wonder how this tastes? You will be pleasantly surprised. It tastes heavenly ! This is my take on Italian zeppole.
I accidentally came across this gluten free flour , now it’s my favorite. Unlike other mixes it has milk powder in it which makes the baked goods so fluffy and moist. One thing I like about it is, I never have to alter the recipe because it’s gluten free . You can make anything with this just the way you do it with the regular flour.
All rights reserved ©savvysouthindian.com