Wow ! The New Year is here, After all the celebrations and those indulgent food every one of us has taken an oath to eat healthy from now on. So how about a flavorful and delicious lentil recipe to give it a great start.
Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring and tasteless. If you eat one good hearty meal that is prepared just the way your grandma would, it is not only satisfying it keeps you full for a long time so you won’t snack that often.
As vegetarians we rely very highly on lentils for our protien, we make many flavorful dishes with it. This recipe is my favorite since you can have it as a soup or as a curry.
It is a one pot wonder which is easy to make and tasty to eat.
Masoor Dhal And Methi Poori
This combo looks yummy right ! Let me show you how to make it…
Ingredients for the lentil curry/ dhal
- Lentils ( masoor dhal) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 ( small) finely diced
- Tomatoes – 2 finely chopped
- Garlic cloves – 2 grated
- Ginger – 1 inch piece grated
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Oil + butter – 1 tablespoon for sautéing
- Cilantro – 1 tablespoon for garnish
- Wash and cook the lentils with 3 cups of water. Make sure it has a little bite and not too mushy.While it is cooking …
- In a hot pan add oil and butter, add cumin seeds. You can also use fennel seeds.
- Once it’s toasted add the onions and sauté it until it’s golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes, sauté it until it gets really mushy. Closing it with a lid speeds up this process.
- Add the chili powder and coriander powder and mix it well.
- Add the grated garlic, ginger and salt. Quickly sauté it and add a cup of water.
- Once it comes to a boil add the lentils, there will be some water in the cooked lentils. Do not drain. Add it, mix it well and cover it with a lid.
- Keep it in a medium flame and let it slowly simmer for sometime.
- The coriander powder and the soft lentils helps it thicken nicely.
- This doesn’t take that long, after 5 minutes take the lid out and see if it has come to the right consistency.
- If you are having it as a soup let it be slightly runny.
- If you are having it like a curry then let it thicken up a bit.
Garnish it with cilantro and it’s ready to eat.
Mmm… it’s so tangy and flavorful, it is creamy and yet has a bite which is hearty and satisfying.
These can also be made with gluten free flour or corn flour
Let see how to make it …
Ingredients for the wheat puffs / poori
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- chili powder or paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Dried fenugreek leaves (methi) – 1 tablespoon (Or) Dried oregano leaves – 2 teaspoons
- Oil for deep frying.
- For a change of taste you can use dried oregano leaves since the flavor is very similar to fenugreek leaves.
- But just use 2 teaspoons because oregano is little intense than methi.
- In a bowl add the flour and the spices.
- Take the methi leaves and rub it in between your palms.
- So that it is slightly powdered and this helps you get the stems out.
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Add water slowly and knead it into a thick dough, it should not be sticky.
- Set it aside for sometime for the flavors to meld.
- Then roll out the dough, and cut the desired shapes.
- Don’t make it too thin otherwise it won’t puff up.
- Heat the oil and deep fry them.
- Slowly drop them in the oil 2 at a time. Do not crowd the pan.
- Once it puffs up , flip it and let the other side get the same golden color
- Take them out and drain it nicely in paper towels.
My kids asked me why does this have to be round all the time so made some in a rectangle shape. Sometimes just changing the shape makes the food fun and interesting.
Look how nicely they puffed up ! They are crispy and aromatic.
The whole kitchen smells like a pizza shop if you have used Oregano.
They are extremely tasty and pairs very well with the soft creamy lentils.
While the curry is simmering make these puffs so that they are ready at the same time.
I can’t wait to dunk this in the lentil curry. Mmm… it is an unbelievably delicious combo.
It’s great for packed lunch, perfect for a quick brunch or an easy week night dinner and it goes very well with rice too.
I make a big batch of this since leftovers taste even better.
There you go! A healthy meal which gets ready in minutes, Doesn’t this make your life easy?
All rights reserved ©savvysouthindian