This is a simple yet a very healthy South Indian side dish. Usually, raw cabbage is used in salads and coleslaw. But this steamed salad studded with colorful veggies, lightly seasoned and garnished with a sprinkling of coconut is such a vegan delight.
Cabbage has a very distinctive smell, it’s colorless and bland these are the three reasons why people don’t like to eat it.
This is how I’m going to make this dish likable.
- Steam it to get the raw taste out
- Add crunchy veggies to add texture and color
- Season it with green chili, mustard and curry leaves to enhance the taste
- Garnish it with freshly grated coconut to make it appetizing
You can make this salad in three different ways, amazing! right?
I bet you would never say no to this scrumptious salad!
- Cabbage – 1 small head (shredded)
- Peas – 1/4 cup
- Diced Carrots – 1/4 cup
- Corn – 1/4 cup
- Green beans – 1/4 cup (thinly sliced)
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Black Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chili – 2 sliced (or) Jalapeño – sliced / deseeded
- Curry leaves – few (optional)
- Grated coconut – 2 tablespoons fresh / frozen or desiccated
Salad # 1 – Independence salad
- Wash and drain the cabbage and the veggies
- Add salt mix it well
- Take a broad skillet and spread the cabbage
- Close it tightly with a lid
- Keep it in a low flame for 5minutes.
- Do not add any water, The salt brings out the natural water and quickly cooks the cabbage and it helps keep the crisp white color.
- Do not leave it unattended, it burns very quickly.
- You can also use a steamer, remember not to over cook.
- It should have a bite to it, it gives a nice texture to the Porial/salad
- If it gets mushy it does not taste good.
Once it’s cooked, take lid off, switch off the heat, but keep it in the pan so that it stays nice and warm.
- Heat oil in a small pan
- Add the mustard seeds once it pops, switch off the stove.
- Add the slit green chilies and curry leaves, keep a lid close by to avoid splatter.
- Pour this over the cooked cabbage
- Add the shredded coconut and mix it well.
- Reserve a little bit of coconut to garnish just before you serve it
Indian green chilies are spicy. You also can substitute it with jalapeños or any other type of chilies. If you are making it for the kids take the seeds out so that you get the flavor but not the heat.
The popped mustard seeds, toasted curry leaves and the green chili gives a wonderful aroma to this salad.
That’s it! your tasty cabbage salad is ready, how easy is that?
My Grandpa named it “Independence salad” because it has the colors of an Indian flag. 🇮🇳
Let’s make one with all the veggies, this time I added sliced green beans for some crunch.
You can also use cooked red kidney beans, Lima beans,butter beans, soy beans etc, it just makes it so colorful and tasty.
You can eat it as it is, we like to have it as a side with rice and curry.
This is the way my Grandma made it and I don’t want to change a thing because it just tastes so delicious!
If you are a person who does not like cabbage, I’m telling you my friend, this dish is going to surprise you! It is so easy to make, tastes delicious and it’s healthy. Enjoy!