Pickling is a culinary art, it’s there in every culture and cuisine around the world. It’s a wonderful way to preserve seasonal produce and enjoy them throughout the year. This instant mango pickle is a very popular Indian condiment. It is made with a special type of raw green, pickling mangoes which are available only during summertime.
We make a variety of vegetable pickles. Some are made with a salty brine, an elaborate process which takes months to soak. This is a quick and easy recipe made with oil, an instant version which is ready to eat immediately.
Instant – Cut Mango Pickle
- Green Mango – 1 ( diced 2 cups)
- Coarse Salt – 2 teaspoons
Must have pickling spices
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Asafetida – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Black Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
When you buy a mango for this type of pickle, make sure it is oval in shape with a pinkish tint on the skin. it’s not too sour so it’s perfect for instant pickles. Sour mangoes take up a lot of spices and it needs to rest for a longer time to get the desired taste.
- Cut mango in thin strips and then finely dice them.
- No need to peel them.
- Add all the salt, mix it well.
- Let it rest for sometime.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add mustard seeds, once it pops, Switch off the stove
- Take it out of the heat, then add the curry leaves.
- This process actually brings down the temperature of the oil.
- The oil is now warm instead of being hot.
- Now add turmeric, chili powder, asafetida and fenugreek and mix it well.
- It slightly toasts the spices and takes away the raw aroma.
- Never add spices to hot oil, it will burn.
Now pour this warm oil and spice mix on top of the cut mango and mix it well.
It’s absolutely mouthwatering! Mmm …It’ tastes crunchy, tangy, salty and spicy! It is truly a flavor explosion in your mouth!
Pickle plays a very important role in South Indian cuisine. When we serve our festive meals on a banana leaf, it is customary to serve the pickle first, then it’s followed by the vegetables, curries and rice.
It is such a great condiment which tastes amazing with our South Indian delicacy called Thayir sadham / yogurt rice.
Of all the amazing vegetable pickles we make, mango is certainly my favorite. Once you try this pickle you will definitely get addicted to it, It literally tingles your tastebuds. Hope you make them and enjoy them as much as we do!
Published by Latha @ savvysouthindian.com
© All rights reserved.