Paruppu is known for its simplicity, yet it’s power packed with nutrients. This humble mashed lentils is a delicious, hearty dish which has a very special place in our South Indian lunch platter.
Paruppu – Simple Dhal
This recipe serves 4
- Toor dhal ( split yellow lentils) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
I have used toor dhal, you can also use moong dhal to make this dish.
Let’s cook the Paruppu/ lentils
- Wash and drain the toor dhal (lentils)
- Add a exactly 1 cup of water, turmeric and asafetida
- Mix it well and cook it
If you are using a pressure cooker follow this ratio (1:2)
* 1/2 cup lentils : 1 cup water
If you using a regular pan use this ratio (1:4)
* 1/2 cup lentils : 2 cups of water
- Once it’s cooked use a fork and mash it nicely
- Now add 1/4 cup of room temperature water and mix it well.
- Keep in mind Paruppu (lentils) have the tendency to thicken up as it cools.
- So make sure you add enough water so that it stays in the right consistency when you eat.
- Add salt and ghee and mix it well.
I like to season this with cumin seeds and curry leaves.
* You can also mustard seeds. Each one gives a totally different taste. Either way it tastes delicious!
- Heat oil add cumin seeds or mustard seeds once it’s toasted, switch off the stove and add curry leaves.
- Pour this on top of the prepared Paruppu.
That’s it! our tasty seasoned Paruppu is ready.
- Turmeric gives a beautiful yellow color and it has anti inflammatory qualities
- Cumin seeds helps easy digestion
- Asafetida prevents intestinal gas
- Curry leaves and the ghee add a wonderful aroma.
What’s not to like, right? It’s made with healthy, flavorful ingredients and it tastes so creamy and delicious.
Since our curries are spicy we like to keep this paruppu simple and mild.
My kids just love to eat them just as it is. But we mix this mashed lentils with hot steamy rice and eat it with a side of curry and vegetables, an authentic South Indian way to eat parruppu!
We include lots of lentils in our diet since it’s a very good source of protien. This tasty Paruppu is a must have in our everyday meals, We also use this mashed lentils as a base for many of our tasty dishes like kootu and kichedi, which are soon to follow. Stay tuned !
Published by Latha @ savvysouthindian.com
© All rights reserved.